This website uses cookies

Cookies remember you so we can give you a better service online. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our Cookies noticeClose
Skip to content

Working during your studies

Many students wish to work during their degree, however,  you need to be careful to maintain a balance between employment and studies.You must seek prior approval from your tutor or supervisor for employment outside your studies.

If you work in the UK, you will usually have to pay Income Tax and National Insurance on your wages. You pay the same NICs (National Insurance Contributions)  whether or not you are a student. If you do not already have one, you will need to apply for a National Insurance Number. Your employer will deduct NICs from your pay if they are due. You can reclaim any Income Tax, up to your peronal allowance (the amount of income you can receive before you pay tax on it).

If you are an overseas/international student you will need to check if it is legal for you work, whether PAID or UNPAID.

Working for Blackfriars Hall

From time to time, the Hall employes students on a casual basis e.g. to help at conferences. Before you undertake any work you muat already have a NI number, and the Bursary must have checked your 'right to work' in the UK. 

News & Events

17th Oct
Register now for the 7th Anscombe Memorial Lecture

Cardinal Willem Jacobus Eijk, Archbishop of Utrecht
'Is Medicine Losing its Way? A firm foundation for medicine as a real therapeia'

15th Oct
Matriculation Michaelmas Term 2016

Congratulations to our new students who matriculated on Saturday.

10th Oct
Honorary Fellow of Blackfriars appointed as a Cardinal

On Sunday 9th October, Pope Francis appointed His Excellency The Most Reverend Joseph Tobin CSsR, Archbishop of Indianapolis, as one of seventeen new...

Find Us

Email:Contact UsPhone:(01865) 278400Address:Blackfriars, St Giles
Visiting Us? Find out how to get here.