Race Equality Policy
- Blackfriars Hall and Blackfriars Studium (hereinafter Blackfriars) are committed to promoting equality of opportunity and good race relations and to avoiding racial discrimination.
- This policy implements requirements placed on Blackfriars under the provisions of the Race Relations (Amendment) Act 2000, and the general duty under section 71 (1) to promote race equality and in particular to:
- eliminate unlawful racial discrimination;
- promote equality of opportunity;
- promote good relations between people of different racial groups.
- The Act has placed further specific duties on Higher Education Institutions to publish a Race Equality Policy and an action plan for its implementation, and to put in place appropriate monitoring and audit procedures to allow for effective assessment of the impact of the policy, and constructive development of new policies and the enhancement of existing policies.
- This policy has been developed with regard to the guidance and Code of Practice issued by the Commission for Racial Equality.
- To support these aims Blackfriars will ensure that in the conduct of all its activities, any necessary steps are taken to avoid the occurrence of racial discrimination, whether direct or indirect, and to promote good relations between different racial groups.
- Discriminatory behaviour, including harassment or bullying by individuals or groups, will be regarded as grounds for disciplinary action by the Moderators, which may include expulsion or dismissal.
- Consultation will be a key feature throughout the implementation and review of this policy. This will include staff and students and, in particular, those from different racial groups, junior members, union representative bodies if and where staff are union members, and any other interested and relevant groups within the Hall and Studium who are identified by the Moderators.
- Blackfriars will work in partnership with the community and racial equality organisations and networks to develop a positive environment in which diversity and difference are valued.
- Proper training of members of staff at all levels will help to ensure that the commitment to race equality is fully achieved. The purpose of training is to inform individuals of the Race Equality Policy and also to ensure that principles underlying the Race Equality Policy underlie decision-making processes at Blackfriars.
Monitoring and auditing
- Blackfriars has in place arrangements to monitor, by reference to different racial groups, the selection and recruitment of members of staff and the admission of students. The results of this monitoring process for students are collated by the Vice-Regent and those for staff by the Bursar, and are reported to a committee established by the Moderators for this purpose. It is the responsibility of this committee, to be known hereinafter as the Equality Committee, to review the effectiveness of the equal opportunities policies and to propose to the Moderators any steps necessary to improve the practice and procedures in relation to race equality and other equal opportunity matters.
- In addition to the monitoring and assessment arrangements already in place, Blackfriars is putting in place procedures to ensure that such additional monitoring is undertaken as is necessary to ensure that the Hall is able to identify possible improvements in its practices, whether in relation to teaching, learning and assessment; management and governance; admissions, access and participation in events and activities; students’ support and guidance; behaviour and discipline; partnership and community links; staff recruitment, training and career development; and service delivery.
- The Equality Committee is responsible to the Moderators for the development, implementation, monitoring, prioritisation and review of equal opportunities policies generally.
All committees of Blackfriars Hall and Blackfriars Studium are responsible for ensuring compliance with this policy in all their duties and functions in relation both to students and to staff.
Contractors and service providers
- Blackfriars will require contractors and service providers to abide by the Race Equality Policy while working at Blackfriars.
- The Race Equality Policy will be reviewed annually by the Moderators to assess its effectiveness through regular monitoring of the action plans and the reports prepared by the Vice-Regent.